Two of my most asked questions before a newborn session is “What should I bring” or “How should I prepare my baby?” As a Pic a Posie Photography client, you will receive my prep guide of some helpful tips on what to bring and how to prepare your baby for their session. When parents follow my guide, their baby is usually sleepy and we capture a variety of poses.
What To Bring
- Pacifier – I recommend bringing a pacifier whether you are using one or not. It will help in soothing baby during the session. I will only use it if baby needs it and for the little time we will be using it, it will not confuse your baby with your current method of feeding.
- Baby Blanket – A familiar baby blanket will help in soothing baby, if needed.
- Bring Extra Bottles – If you solely breast feed, I highly recommend pumping and bringing extra bottles. In my experience, breast feeding can last up to an hour and will cut into your session time. Having a bottle available will also help if baby needs just a little feeding during the session. Expect your baby to feed more frequently during the session. A full belly means a sleepy baby and more images to choose from!
- Snacks/Drinks – I will have snacks and water/coffee for you during your session. However, feel free to bring any snacks or beverages you wish. If you are having sibling images captured, I recommend bringing cheerios or a similar snack. If we need to use the snack during the session, this snack is small enough to not be noticed in the mouth.
How to Prepare Your Baby
- Stimulate baby two hours before your scheduled arrival. Babies do very well in the studio for posing when they are in a deep sleep. I highly recommend, a warm bath and feeding right before you leave. The car ride to the studio will put your baby to sleep and will be ready for me to start the session.
- Feed baby right before you leave for the session. A full baby is a sleepy baby! If breast feeding, please avoid spicy foods or any foods that give you gas 24hrs before your session.
- Dress baby in a button or zip up pajama, do not dress baby in an outfit that needs to be taken off over the head, such as a onesie. Also avoid putting socks on your baby. This will wake your baby and time will be needed to soothe back to sleep.
How Should I Prepare The Family?
- The studio will be set at a temperature around 80F, since babies are usually photographed naked, we want to ensure baby is warm and comfortable. If we’re not sweating, it’s probably not warm enough for baby! Parent’s please make sure to wear comfortable loose clothing. Parent images will be done at the end of the session. Feel free to change and get ready at the studio while I am photographing your baby.
- Newborn sessions can last up to 4 hours, so I highly recommend eating a good breakfast before you arrive. I know this can be a very exciting and stressful time for you, especially when adding sleep deprivation in the mix! I want you to be comfortable and at ease! Being able to photograph this precious moment for you, means a lot to me, so anything I can do to make it a stress free experience for you, please don’t hesitate to let me know!
- Safety is my utmost top priority when handling your baby, so either mom or dad will be my spotter/assistant when needed during prop poses.
- Fingernail polish should be removed or touched up. I will be capturing your hands, be sure to touch up chipped fingernail polish and avoid bright colored polish. For children, any temporary tattoos should also be removed and faces clean of any food.
- What should I wear for family images? I highly recommend choosing neutral colors that are in the same color palette. I am more than happy to make suggestions, just call, text or email me! For shirts and dresses, solid colors are better than busy patterns. Choose shirts that do not have logos on the front. For pants, I recommend choosing a pair that has little to no distressing. Don’t forget to iron! I have a dressing room available if you’d like to keep your clothes on a hanger instead of wearing them to the studio.
- Family and sibling images will be captured at the end of the session. If sibling images will be captured, I ask that a parent or a family helper drop off Mom and baby at my studio and return 45-60 minutes before the session end time.
Take a peek into “The Pic a Posie Photography Experience” in the video below!
For more information or to book a session with Pic a Posie Photography, click HERE!
Pic a Posie Photography specializes in maternity, newborn, baby and milestone session.
Pic a Posie Photography studio is located at 913 Gulf Breeze, PKWY, Suite 9, Gulf Breeze, FL in Harbourtown Village.
Serving Surrounding Areas Such As Pensacola, Gulf Breeze, Cantonment, Milton, Pace, Crestview, Perdido Key, Navarre, Destin, Niceville And Also Southeast Alabama Areas Such As Mobile, Foley, Orange Beach, Gulf Shores And Many More.
leave a comment