Congratulations, you’re in the final stretch of your pregnancy! The third trimester is a remarkable time filled with anticipation and preparation for the arrival of your little one. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through what you and your partner can expect during this exciting phase, including the weeks it covers, your baby’s development, and the changes happening in a woman’s body to get ready for delivery.
Understanding the Third Trimester
The third trimester typically spans from week 28 to week 40, making it the last 12 to 13 weeks of your pregnancy. This phase is marked by rapid growth and development, both for your baby and your own body.
Your baby is growing by leaps and bounds during the third trimester. Here’s what you can expect:
- Size Matters: At the beginning of the third trimester, your baby is roughly the size of an eggplant. By the end, they’ll be about the size of a watermelon!
- Strong Bones: Your baby’s bones are hardening, and their skin is smoothing out. Those adorable little wrinkles are disappearing.
- Sensory Development: Your baby’s senses are becoming more advanced. They can hear your voice and even recognize it. Their eyes are also opening and closing.
- Movement Galore: You’ll feel more powerful and regular movements. Those kicks, punches, and wiggles will become more pronounced as your baby has less room to move.
- Preparing for Breathing: The lungs are developing to be able to breathe air once they’re born. Your baby is practicing their breathing motions.
Changes in a Woman’s Body
While your baby is preparing for life outside the womb, your body is undergoing some significant changes to prepare for childbirth:
- Weight Gain: You may continue to gain weight throughout the third trimester, and it’s perfectly normal. Your body is storing fat to ensure you have enough energy for labor and breastfeeding.
- Swelling: Swelling in your feet and ankles can become more pronounced. Elevating your legs, staying hydrated, and wearing comfortable shoes can help.
- Shortness of Breath: As your baby grows, they push against your diaphragm, making it harder to take deep breaths. Try to sit up straight and take slow, deep breaths.
- Heartburn and Indigestion: The growing uterus puts pressure on your stomach, which can lead to more frequent heartburn and indigestion. Eating smaller, more frequent meals can help.
- Braxton Hicks Contractions: These “practice” contractions can become more noticeable. They’re usually painless and irregular, serving to prepare your body for the real thing.
- Nesting Instinct: You might find yourself with an uncontrollable urge to clean, organize, and prepare for your baby’s arrival. This is called the nesting instinct and is a natural part of getting ready for parenthood.
- Pelvic Pressure: As your baby descends into the pelvis, you may feel increased pressure and discomfort in the pelvic area.
- Stretch Marks: You might notice more stretch marks as your belly continues to grow. These are completely normal and fade with time.
Preparation for Labor and Delivery
In the final weeks of the third trimester, your body will go through a series of changes to prepare for childbirth:
- Cervical Changes: Your cervix will start to soften and thin out (efface) in preparation for labor. It may also begin to dilate.
- Bringing It All Together: You may notice increased contractions, known as true labor contractions. These will be regular, intensify over time, and won’t subside with rest.
- Nesting: Your nesting instincts may kick into high gear. Use this time to prepare your home for your baby’s arrival.
Remember, every pregnancy is unique, and you may experience these changes differently. It’s essential to maintain regular check-ups with your healthcare provider to ensure you and your baby are healthy and ready for the big day.
As the third trimester progresses, emotions can run high, but your excitement is growing with each passing day. Cherish this time with your partner, savor the moments, and prepare for the incredible journey ahead. Your baby will soon be in your arms, and the adventure of parenthood will begin. Enjoy the ride!
Pic a Posie Photography specializes in maternity, newborn, baby and milestone session. Offering clients a one of a kind experience by using a reveal wall to view their images.
View the video below to see what it is like to be a Pic a Posie Photography client!
To view my portfolio, click here!
To book a session or for more information, click here!
Pic a Posie Photography studio is located at
Serving Surrounding Areas Such As Pensacola, Gulf Breeze, Cantonment, Milton, Pace, Crestview, Perdido Key, Navarre, Destin, Niceville And Also Southeast Alabama Areas Such As Mobile, Foley, Orange Beach