Bringing a new life into this world is a beautiful and awe-inspiring experience. However, for some new mothers, it can also be accompanied by overwhelming feelings of anxiety. This condition, known as postpartum anxiety, affects many women after pregnancy. Let’s discuss the symptoms of postpartum anxiety, resources for support in Pensacola, FL, and surrounding areas, and offer guidance on how partners can help.
What is Postpartum Anxiety?
Postpartum anxiety is a type of anxiety disorder that can develop in new mothers within the first year after giving birth. It is more common than you might think, with estimates suggesting that it affects around 10% of postpartum women. It’s important to understand that postpartum anxiety is a real and treatable condition, and seeking help is a sign of strength.
Symptoms of Postpartum Anxiety
Recognizing the symptoms of postpartum anxiety is the first step to getting the help you need. Here are some common signs to watch out for:
- Excessive Worry: New moms often worry about their baby’s well-being, but if your anxiety leads to uncontrollable, irrational fears, it may be a sign of postpartum anxiety.
- Restlessness: Feeling on edge, having trouble relaxing, or being unable to sit still are common symptoms.
- Physical Symptoms: This can include rapid heartbeat, muscle tension, dizziness, or even panic attacks.
- Difficulty Sleeping: Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, even when the baby is sleeping peacefully.
- Irrational Thoughts: Intrusive, upsetting, or irrational thoughts about harm coming to your baby can be a symptom.
- Constant Overthinking: Overanalyzing decisions, second-guessing yourself, and always thinking about the worst-case scenario.
How Partners Can Help
Partners play a crucial role in supporting a mother with postpartum anxiety. Here are some ways they can offer assistance:
- Listen and Be Understanding: Create a safe space for open communication and encourage her to share her feelings without judgment.
- Share Responsibilities: Help with childcare and household tasks to reduce her stress.
- Encourage Self-Care: Support her in taking time for herself, whether it’s a short break or a day off.
- Attend Appointments: Accompany her to therapy or support group sessions if she’s comfortable with that.
- Learn About Postpartum Anxiety: Educate yourself about the condition so you can better understand her experience.
Resources For Support
If you or someone you know is experiencing postpartum anxiety in the Pensacola or Gulf Breeze area, there are resources available to provide the support you need:
- Lakeview Center: Located in Pensacola, Lakeview Center offers a range of behavioral health services, including therapy and support for postpartum anxiety.
- Website: Lakeview Center
- Sacred Heart Health System: Sacred Heart provides mental health services and counseling, including support for postpartum anxiety.
- Website: Sacred Heart Health System
- Baptist Health Care: This health system in Pensacola also offers mental health services, including counseling for postpartum anxiety.
- Website: Baptist Health Care
- Crisis Helpline: You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) for immediate help.
Postpartum anxiety is a common condition that affects many new mothers, but with the right support and resources, it’s treatable. If you or someone you know is experiencing postpartum anxiety, reach out to the local resources for help. Partners can also play a crucial role in providing support during this challenging time. Remember, you’re not alone, and there’s help available to guide you toward a path of healing and well-being.
Pic a Posie Photography specializes in maternity, newborn, baby and milestone session. Offering clients a one of a kind experience by using a reveal wall to view their images.
View the video below to see what it is like to be a Pic a Posie Photography client!
To view my portfolio, click here!
To book a session or for more information, click here!
Pic a Posie Photography studio is located at
Serving Surrounding Areas Such As Pensacola, Gulf Breeze, Cantonment, Milton, Pace, Crestview, Perdido Key, Navarre, Destin, Niceville And Also Southeast Alabama Areas Such As Mobile, Foley, Orange Beach